[Milton-L] On James and the English Reformers

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Fri Nov 16 08:39:38 EST 2007

I turn to the collective wisdom of the list for assistance in some
research:
Luther's antipathy toward the Letter of James--he called it a "letter
of straw"--is well-known and clearly grounded in his resistance to
that letter's ostensible elevation of the importance of works in
relation to faith.
Can anyone point me toward discussions of James and the question of
works by English reformers of the second half of the 16th and first
quarter of the 17th centuries (say, 1560-1615)?  The Geneva Bible's
gloss on James 2 offers a condensed account.  Are there other, more
extensive discussions to which I should turn?
Thanks,

Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of English and Judaic Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248145
Coral Gables, FL 33124-4632

(o) 305-284-5596