[Milton-L] Recommendations for a course on censorship

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Thu Nov 15 15:19:07 EST 2007

.>
>   Don't forget to include the passage in Plato's
>   Republic where he argues that poetry would be
>   strictly censored (maybe even prohibited?) in the
>   ideal state.

 A historical novel that deals with this very issue: The Mask of Apollo by Renault. I use it in my Greek myth course. If you don't know it, the narrator is the son of an actor who follows his father's footsteps in Athens and environs --- and on to Syracuse. My myth students get very intrigued with it.
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant