[Milton-L] Recommendations for a course on censorship

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Thu Nov 15 14:38:37 EST 2007

Over the years I've taught several avatars of a course on Blasphemy.
While not the same as censorship, it has some obvious overlaps.
Though it does present some challenges, I've had good success
teaching Rushdie's The Satanic Verses in that course and I think it
would fit well in your censorship course, too.  You can supplement it
with some of Rushdie's post-fatwah ruminations on the whole debacle,
too.
But since censorship ought to includes matters other than religion,
surely you'd want to address the censorship of matters of sexuality,
say perhaps, the indecency trials and controversies concerning either
Oscar Wilde or James Joyce.  Also, obviously, political censorship:
here in Miami, we've gone through a recent brouhaha over an
elementary school text book called Vamos a Cuba which, according to
its detractors, paints far too positive a picture of contemporary
Cuba and which was censored from the school curricula as a result.
Finally, I wonder whether it might be interesting to consider the
whole Intelligent Design business.  Its advocates clearly want to
suggest that they are being censored; such a discussion might be very
illuminating concerning the line between censorship and academic
standards.
Gosh, you're making me want to teach a course on this too, Angelica.
I'd love to see the syllabus you end up using.
Jeffrey

Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of English and Judaic Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248145
Coral Gables, FL 33124-4632

(o) 305-284-5596