[Milton-L] PS on Self-referencing by Puritans?

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Wed Nov 14 11:42:33 EST 2007

PS I may have found the passage in Lewis I was looking for:  "Against what seems
to us this fantastic artificiality in their education we must set the fact that
every boy, out of school, without noticing it, then acquired a range of
knowledge such as no boy has today; farriery, forestry, archery, hawking,
sowing, ditching, thatching, brewing, baking, weaving, and practical astronomy.
 This concrete knowledge, mixed with their law, rhetoric, theology, and
mythology, bred an outlook very different from our own.  High abstractions and
rarified artifices jostled the earthiest particulars" (62).  I had thought
there was more, but perhaps it's elsewhere.

Jameela
--
Jameela Lares, Ph.D.
Associate Professor