[Milton-L] Self-referencing by Puritans?

Daniel W. Doerksen dwd at unb.ca
Tue Nov 13 18:25:46 EST 2007

William Bradshaw, a puritan, published English Pvritanisme in
1605,  ironically using the term and implicitly accepting that it applied
to himself and others of presbyterian views. I recommend the first chapter
of Christopher Hill's Society and Puritanism in Pre-Revolutionary England
for an enlightening look at what the term could mean in early
seventeenth-century England. Hill notes that John Donne the preacher was
willing to call himself a puritan, according to some definitions. Francis
Bacon similarly revealed a favorable opinion of many "honest religious men
. . . traduced by that name."

Dan Doerksen

At 12:56 PM 11/13/2007, you wrote:
>You see occaisional uses of the term "puritan," Malvolio is called "a kind
>of puritan" in Twelfth Night, but I don't know of any example of them
>calling themselves that. They usually called themselves saints,
>Christians, or "the godly." David Lowenstein uses "the godly" as a
>collective term rather than "puritans."
>
>Cheers, J.

Daniel W. Doerksen