[Milton-L] Self-referencing by Puritans?

Justin Barnes Kolb jbkolb at wisc.edu
Tue Nov 13 15:56:52 EST 2007

You see occaisional uses of the term "puritan," Malvolio is called "a kind of puritan" in Twelfth Night, but I don't know of any example of them calling themselves that. They usually called themselves saints, Christians, or "the godly." David Lowenstein uses "the godly" as a collective term rather than "puritans."

Cheers, J.