[Milton-L] Antinomian Occupations. musical Milton

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Wed Mar 28 17:15:11 EDT 2007

[22 March, Michael Dobiel posed some questions, copied below, about Milton's knowledge of music.]

I agree, Michael, that your series of questions on Milton and music is too big for any adequate response. Nor am I qualified myself, as others are, to help much with them.

Yes, Milton was into music, big time. You'll need a bibliography or half-a-dozen bibliographies, to work on it. To start, check some of the many general introductions available in recent Milton texts such as, for instance, the intro to Paradise Lost in Roy Flannagan's "Riverside Milton," which includes discussion of "poetry as musical composition," p. 314.

For what it's worth, you might note, Michael, that while on his tour to Italy Milton "shipped home a collection of books that he had amassed ..., including at least one case of music books..." This from the April 1639 entry in Gordon Campbell's _A Milton Chronology_.   "At lease one case" sounds like a heap of music books to me, although I have no clue how big a 17th century shipping case might have been.

It is said of Milton's description of a fugue, PL 11.559, that it remains the finest in our literature. [[ "His volant touch /Instinct through all proportions low and high /Fled and pursu'd transverse the resonant fugue." ]]

You mentioned my sentence, "How musical is divine philosophy." It's not actually mine, just a collapsed quotation from M's 'Comus'  476:

How charming is divine Philosophy!
Not harsh, and crabbed as dull fools suppose,
But musical as is Apollo's lute

So that folks can ignore a heap of dense description I will tuck away at the far end of this post some comments on what I feel is the music, and the anti-music, in the above three lines.

Cheers,

Carl