[Milton-L] Re: "due at their hour" PL 10.93

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Wed Mar 14 11:18:58 EDT 2007

A great help indeed, Nancy.  Thank you much!  So if I have it right even the "decline" [the term used in line 99] towards night is a divinely donated comfort, and not because as the saying goes, "day must follow night," good must follow bad; but because the alternation itself is a permanent blessing.

And thanks for the ref. to Fowler. Are there other scholars who treat "confessions" of mystical faith in PL or elsewhere in Milton?

By the way, I had the passage as occurring in Book 9 because I looked it up in Ed 1 (using a file that contains all the books and thus allows a single search to cover the whole of PL). I should have used Ed. 2 for the citation.

Carl