[Milton-L] "due at their hour" PL 10.93

ms493101 at ohio.edu ms493101 at ohio.edu
Wed Mar 14 11:09:18 EDT 2007

Dear Carl,

Interestingly, the 1560 Geneva, 1558 Bishop's Bible, the 1540 Great Bible, and
the 1611 Authorized Version all refer to this as "the cool of the day" at
Genesis 3:8. The 1610 Duoay-Rheims, while stopping short of naming the exact
hour, renders it as "the afternoon air." Literally, the Hebrew here (ru'ach)
could be translated as "spirit" or "wind" or "breath" of the day. Sounds
refreshing enough.

Contast this period of the day with Genesis 18:1 where Abraham's visitors were
said to come "in the very heat of the day."

At any rate, I don't think you are going too far by suggesting that this refers
to a specific time of day.

Cheers,

Matthew Stallard
Ohio University