[Milton-L] a request

Eric B. Song ebs2d at cms.mail.virginia.edu
Mon Mar 5 13:00:44 EST 2007

Being a graduate student myself, I can't offer mentorship, but I thought I'd
recommend a few texts on the topic you're interested in:

David Aers and Bob Hodge, "'Rational Burning': Milton on Sex and Marriage,"
_Milton Studies_ 13;
James Grantham Turner, _One Flesh: Paradisal Marriage and Sexual Relations
in the Age of Milton_;
Mary Nyquist, "The Genesis of Gendered Subjectivity in _Paradise Lost_," in
_Re-membering Milton: Essays on the Texts and Traditions (also in _Paradise
Lost: Contemporary Critical Essays_");
Thomas Luxon, _Single Imperfection: Milton, Marriage and Friendship_.

Best of luck finding assistance; but maybe one lesson to be learned from
Milton's own post-collegiate education is that it's not so bad reading on
your own (especially if you can find someone else to pay for room & board,
and if you can get some good lighting).

Cheers,
Eric Song

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:27:47 +0800
  grace <lmcgrace at singnet.com.sg> wrote:

>  I first came across John Milton's PL when i was doing my MA coursework
>where one professor "taught" Milton in one lecture.  But that inspired me
>and led me to read on my own PL and some of his prose works.  i was
>particularly enamored by Milton's discourse on "marriage and true worship"
>in the DDD and Tetrachordon as i found many reverberations in his last 3
>major poetical works.  I set off to do a research paper on John Milton:
>Marriage and True worship.  While i was deeply thrilled by a glimpse of the
>tremendous possibilities of pursuing along this line as a central Miltonic
>(Christian) thought, i felt intimidated by the vast and diverse Miltonic
>critical readings available and wished that i could study under a true
>mentor - as indeed there are so much wonderful scholastic works out there
>and i long to go under the wing of one of these Miltonic experts -seeking
>for good support and perhaps a dialogue eventually on such pertinent issues
>broached by MIlton that are so relevant today.   I was struck by one called
>John Shawcross and was pleasantly surprised that he is in the list!  Would
>anyone be willing to take on a student like me?  I am still thinking and
>daring to work on the links between marriage and true worship - propounded
>so stridently in Milton's prose and expanded in a continuum of thought in
>his final poems.  It would be something to hear from the experts directly.
> i need some help and guidance as a student of Miltonic studies.
>
>  Mrs Grace Lee
>  Singapore

Eric B. Song
Department of English