[Milton-L] Levellers

Alice Crawford Berghof aberghof at uci.edu
Mon Mar 5 17:49:07 EST 2007

Dear all,
I am in the early stages of research on the language of public safety
in Leveller petitions to Parliament and the replies to these petitions.
  I am focusing on the 1640's, up to and including 1648, although some
1649 documents are useful.  I am wondering if anyone can answer either
of the following questions, or offer references to chapters of books or
articles that might not be easily accessed with title word searches on
library search engines or collections of scanned manuscripts such as
Early English Books Online.  Both of my questions have to do,
initially, with attribution of authorship of petitions to Parliament.
For example, on a 1648 petition to the House of Commons for which I
have a House of Lords reply, someone has written in script, "Levellers
petition".  To the extent that Levellers frequently resented the title,
I am wondering whether anyone on this list has information as to the
attribution of Leveller authorship of pamphlets and petitions, other
than the petitioners' request for opening existing enclosures,
abolishing the practice of enclosures, or similar requests.  My second
question is broader and relates to women's authorship of petitions to
Parliament in the mid-1640's.  Although my research is focusing on
Lilburne, I am wondering about the possibility of male-authored
petitions that were given the title of "women petitioning Parliament",
etc.  My two questions are related to the extent that present-day
collections of manuscript titles reveal 1. that many women signed
Leveller petitions and were perhaps well-represented even in those
Leveller petitions authored by men, and 2. that in the case of smaller
groups of female authors, there is no way to verify female authorship.

Hope I haven't taxed the patience of the members of the list.  My
apologies for failing to take into account the possibility of
non-dissenting Presbyterians.  Regarding that issue, I am wondering
about the timing of casting bishops out of the House of Lords in
relation to Milton's prose work, in general.

Thank you in advance,
Alice Crawford Berghof, Ph.D.
Lecturer in the Humanities
University of California, Irvine