[Milton-L] Tenure of Kings and Magistrates

Warren L Chernaik warren.chernaik at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 5 08:34:07 EST 2007

Dear Alice,
Neither anglicans nor dissenters, but presbyterian divines, attacked by
Milton throughout "Tenure" (apostates in the beginning of the
paragraph). Cf. "Of the New Forcers of Conscience", with a very similar
charge (sei
Warren Chernaikzing the widowed whore plurality etc.)
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 21:36:57 -0800 Alice Crawford Berghof
<aberghof at uci.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone know whether the phrase "dancing Divines" in the following
> passage from The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates refers only to
> Anglican royalists who would have opposed the beheading of King
> Charles, or whether it might also refer to minority pacifists among the
> Dissenters?
> Alice Crawford Berghof
>

> Nor let any man be deluded by either the ignorance or the notorious
> hypocrisie and self-repugnance of our dancing Divines, who have the
> conscience and the boldness, to come with Scripture in thir mouthes,
> gloss'd and fitted for thir turnes with a double contradictory sense,
> transforming the sacred verity of God, to an Idol with two Faces,
> looking at once two several ways; and with the same quotations to
> charge others, which in the same case they made serve to justifie
> themselves. For while the hope to bee made Classic and Provincial Lords
> led them on, while pluralities greas'd them thick and deep, to the
> shame and scandal of Religion, more then all the Sects and Heresies
> they exclaim against, then to fight against the Kings person, and no
> less a Party of his Lords and Commons, or to put force upon both the
> Houses, was good, was lawfull, was no resisting of Superior powers;
> they onely were powers not to be resisted, who countenanc'd the good,
> and punish't the evil.

Warren L Chernaik
warren.chernaik at kcl.ac.uk