[Milton-L] Antinomian Occupations

Sanford Blackburn antinomian2 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 00:08:58 EST 2007

Jim:

Thanks for this.  I’ve been busy with Hawthorne and had to set this on the
back burner.

I am curious what Milton (and others) have to say concerning the notion of
internalized law. Consider Jim’s point:

“Christ's teachings in the Sermon on the Mount seem to support this: . . .
laws
are not now given up . . . rather, the law is internalized, so that we no
longer commit
adultery "in our hearts."  The point being here that external
obedience to commands has now been transformed into character traits.”

By this internalization, do we mean that we "automatically" follow the law,
or, instead, do we follow the law because it is internalized as a passive
reference we can, as it were, consult as part of the larger process of
making an appropriate decision about our conduct?

A science fiction analogy is apt:  is the new law "chip" the
angels/God/Jesus inserts into out heads meant to control our character and
behavior, or is it a legal reference library that merely provides
information, and we act upon that information at our personal discretion?

_A Clockwork Orange_ turns upon a similar distinction.  That is, can young
Alex, who is conditioned to do the right thing (the law has been
internalized to the point of becoming a “trait” of Alex’s "character") be
considered a moral animal if he has no choice in the matter?  That is, in _A
Clockwork Orange_, is Alex, as the Minister eloquently argues, the true
Christian history has been waiting for? Or is he, as the Prison Chaplain
argues, an amoral automaton because he no longer has the power of choice and
MUST do good?

On what side does Milton fall on this question?

("fall"  Good grief.  No pun intended.)

Thanks,

Carter Kaplan