[Milton-L] PL, the Movie [was: Re: Milton-L Digest...]

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Sun Mar 4 16:18:37 EST 2007

. I
>   suspect the movie will be a hoot, sell much popcorn,
>   and win many Razzies!

Sounds like fun to me - maybe it will attain cult status. We
can organize theater parties in boo and cheer in unison, and
chant chunks of poetry with the actors ...

I saw the second installment of the Lord of the Rings movies
seated in front of several middle-aged guys who had evidently
spent much of their lives committing that sacred text to
memory. They kept hissing things like "They left out a whole
paragraph!" And then I could hear them whispering along with
the dialogue on screen.

I gew up reading the original Wizard of Oz and several of the
other Oz books that my mother owned - not first, but early
editions. I loved the books.  I also love the Judy Garland
movie. They are in fact rather different, especially
visually.

I love them both, but differently. The last time there was a
theatrical re-release, they enhanced color and sound
beautifully, restored some lost footage. I went with a bunch
of gay and lesbian friends, and we all wept copiously at
various points.  I'm sure we annoyed and puzzled other
members of the audience. I cry at the end when she says
goodbye to the Scarecrow every single time I see it -
theater, TV - makes no difference. Does that mena it is
agreat work of artistic cinamah? Dunno. Great movie. Great
book.

Now don't get me started on the Disneyfication of the Alice
books, The Jungle Book, and other horrible travesties...

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant