[Milton-L] Milton's Bogey (and such)

Jamie Morton jlmorton at usc.edu
Thu Mar 1 19:32:38 EST 2007

Well I suppose it's about time to reach out to the Listserv for help
and guidance.  I've been working diligently (haha) on my senior
thesis, and I've been a bit closeted in my own brain.  I'm trying to
connect the concepts of Milton's Eve, which I read as an enabling
figure for women, Sandra M. Gilbert's reading of Eve as  "monster
that Milton hints she is," and Woolf's cursory remarks on Milton and
his "bogey" in A Room of One's Own.

My current hypothesis is that Milton wrote Eve as an enabling figure
(although I would appreciate discussion on this point, as I'm not
sure whether this is what Milton intended), and that PL was therefore
an enabling text for women for many years.  At some point, then, the
dominant reading of Eve and of PL in general must have shifted to, as
Woolf says, "shut out the view."

So I'm first trying to find 16th- and 17th-century texts that support
my theory that Milton's early female readers found Eve enabling.  I'm
not sure where to go from there, but I think that Frankenstein might
be instrumental in demonstrating a turning point in the dominant
reading of PL, and particularly of Eve.

Comments, critique, and discussion highly appreciated!  Thanks a
million, listserv.

-J
"From error to error, one discovers the entire truth."
      - Sigmund Freud