[Milton-L] Teaching with Lewalski's _Life_

Michele Walfred walfred at udel.edu
Mon Jun 25 10:16:32 EDT 2007

If I may provide a student perspective - I am a 51 year old senior at UD and
took Milton ENGL 328 as an independent study course.  In preparation for
required reading material I thought it wise to read a biography the summer
before. I selected Lewalski's book from the 5 stars on Amazon.com and lack
of other biographies available to me. It presumed the reader had basic
knowledge - religious groups for example, and used vocabulary in general
that went over my head. I read a lot - and this was tough going. Going into
Milton totally green, I ended up getting discouraged, putting it down and
went to Parker's instead, which was mentioned positively on this list serve.
Fortunately I found Parker in my library and didn't have to pay the $180 for
the book and notes.  After reading that and then delving into Milton's major
works and criticisms, I did return to Lewalkski's book and found a lot of
value from it and cited it extensively in my paper - mostly because by then,
I knew what she was talking about.  Bottom line, I didn't think it was a
good introductory biography - Parker was the better story teller and whetted
my appetite to explore Milton beyond what was required of me to read.