[Milton-L] Teaching with Lewalski's _Life_

Eric B. Song ebs2d at cms.mail.virginia.edu
Fri Jun 22 13:07:35 EDT 2007

Dear Miltonists,

I'd like to solicit advice and pedagogical anecdotes from those of you who
have used Lewalski's _Life of Milton_ in undergraduate courses. I'm about to
teach a Milton seminar for the first time in the fall, and I'm tentatively
planning on assigning four or five selections from the biography throughout
the semester. I'm a bit nervous, though, that what I find eloquent and
readable accounts of Milton's life and political milieu will strike my
students as discouragingly confusing and arcane.

Thanks in advance,

Eric B. Song
Department of English
University of Virginia