[Milton-L] Kincaid's Lucifer

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 10:14:48 EDT 2007

Could be from Book II 1688 ff

Illustrations:

http://www.johngeraghty.com/Literature/Texts/Milton/P_Lost_1688/PL_1688_27-I
llus_II.jpg

http://www.johngeraghty.com/Literature/Texts/Milton/P_Lost_1688/PL_1688_BOOK
E_II_img.jpg

http://www.johngeraghty.com/Literature/Texts/Milton/P_Lost_1691/102_3680.JPG

-John

SOUL of the (st)age!

A Lost Soul, A rising Sol  (Advanced and made a constellation there!)

A nd shake a stage; or, when thy socks were on,
L eave thee alone for the comparison
O f all that insolent Greece or haughty Rome
S ent forth, or since did from their ashes come.
T riumph, my Britain; thou hast one to show
   To whom all scenes of Europe homage owe.

 Bay Laurel Ben-Crowned by the Laureate (for the laurel he may gain a scorn)

B  ut antiquated and deserted lie,
A s they were not of Nature's family.
Y et must I not give Nature all; thy Art,

The other Wit   (As, since, she will vouchsafe no other wit.)

T  his Figure, that thou here seest put,

 I  t was for gentle Shakespeare cut;

W herein the Grauer had a strife

   WIT h Nature, to out-doo the life

O, could he but haue drawne his WIT

  The SOUL grows clotted by contagion,

    Imbodies, and imbrutes, till she quite loose

T he divine property of her first being.

S uch are those thick and gloomy shadows damp

O ft seen in charnel-vaults and sepulchres,

L ingering and sitting by a new-made grave,

A s loth to leave the body that it loved,