[Milton-L] apostasy and apology

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Dec 30 21:55:49 EST 2007

Carol Barton wrote:

> There was no "tone," Paul. I didn't notice your empticon--and am not sure
> I'd have understood its purpose if I had. I am older than you are--and I was
> just trying to get you to look at the scholarship,

Why should a "general reader" look at the scholarship? By the criteria
you seem to be posing no one but professional Miltonists would ever read
Milton! And since readers of DDC seem to have as amany disagreements as
do readers of PL itself, why should anyone read who does  not need to
for professional reasons?

And if we are going to have a competition on age, I'm 77, 10 years
retired, with all the privileges of the general reader who need not give
a whit what an editor or a tenure committee thinks. It's a lot of fun.

Carrol