[Milton-L] apostasy and apology

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 30 21:41:45 EST 2007

There was no "tone," Paul. I didn't notice your empticon--and am not sure
I'd have understood its purpose if I had. I am older than you are--and I was
just trying to get you to look at the scholarship, because (as I thought I
had tried to convey) there is no easy answer to your question. I had no idea
whether you were a student novice asking idly, or someone who really wanted
to know.

If I were you, I'd start with the _Milton Encyclopedia_ . . . this is what
is known as a "vexed question," one on which you need to form your own
opinion, after a survey of what others who have spent their lives
researching it have thought.

I'm sorry if that's not an easy answer, and sorry that you seem to be
offended by my response, which was intended to be helpful.

Carol Barton