[Milton-L] apostasy and apology

Paul Miller pm9 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 30 19:52:01 EST 2007

Thankyou Michael for your answer. Of course I have read Paradise Lost book 3
but didn't know if the poem represented the poet's theological view or not.
He does seem to be an Arian which begs the question: if Milton were alive
today would he be ringing doorbells and passing out watchtower tracts? :)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Paul Miller,

Obviously this is a large and thorny question on which volumes have been
written. But to give a crude answer, Milton in his latter years did not
recognize the Holy Spirit as a separate person. He did not deny the
personhood of the Son but viewed the Son as a junior partner, not coeternal,
acting externally through the power of the Father. In PL 3, the Father
describes the Son as "my word, my wisdom, my effectual might."

In Milton's theology of salvation, prevenient grace is extended to all,
making it possible for each person to accept (or reject) the fullness of
grace through free will. Milton believed that the soul dies with the body,
with both to be regenerated at judgement.

Ordinarily, list members answer such questions by referring the questioner
to books, but I assume your question is out of casual curiosity, since no
one is cribbing term papers this time of year. Book 3 of PL is probably the
first thing you should read.

Michael