[Milton-L] apostasy and apology

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 06:49:06 EST 2007

James, I didn't think that you were RC. Rather, I had you pegged for a Pentacostal. But that doesn't matter. I was merely curious. I know a fellow Baptist who left the Baptist church and briefly tried the Catholic Church, which was willing to accept his Baptist baptism. That surprised me, for baptism is also a sacrament, so I didn't expect the RCC to accept a Baptist church's baptism. I simply wondered if something similar was the case with the eucharist.

  Oh, and since we're on the topic of these things, a Jehovah's Witness recently left a message at my blog and said that he thinks that Milton would have rejoiced in knowing of the JWs. He also claimed that Milton's works had inspired the 19th-century founders of the Witnesses. I wonder if that's historically the case.

  Jeffery Hodges

James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com> wrote:
  Of course not, Jeffery -- at least. not until you confessed your error
and joined the RCC fold. You can say this is an exclusionary
practice, but the RCC expects the same thing of their members who are
not in this particular error -- to confess their other errors before
partaking of the sacrament.

The more important question is, if you don't accept RC doctrine and
authority, why would you -want to- take the sacrament? Why would
anyone who does not? The only honest answer is the best validation of
RCC "exclusionary" practices: these people don't really believe in the
sacraments, but just want to use them as an occasion for a polemic
point. Since the RCC has more respect for the sacraments than this
(It's the sacraments, not a political statement!), of course they do
and should exclude those who do not believe. They have already
excluded themselves.

A more pertinent question for this list is, what was Milton's thought
on all this? Do you really think he would reject exclusionary
practices simply because they are exclusionary? What was his
distinction between Catholics and Papists?

I am neither a Catholic nor a Papist, by the way.

Jim R

On Dec 30, 2007 4:32 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:
> Does my being a "Roman Catholic 'in error'" -- not so hard a concept for me
> to accept since I've often been wrong about things -- qualify me for
> partaking of the Roman Catholic eucharist?
>
> Not that I'll try, but I'm curious.
>
> Jeffery Hodges

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley