[Milton-L] apostasy and apology

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 06:23:49 EST 2007

Of course not, Jeffery -- at least. not until you confessed your error
and joined the RCC fold.  You can say this is an exclusionary
practice, but the RCC expects the same thing of their members who are
not in this particular error -- to confess their other errors before
partaking of the sacrament.

The more important question is, if you don't accept RC doctrine and
authority, why would you -want to- take the sacrament?  Why would
anyone who does not?  The only honest answer is the best validation of
RCC "exclusionary" practices: these people don't really believe in the
sacraments, but just want to use them as an occasion for a polemic
point.  Since the RCC has more respect for the sacraments than this
(It's the sacraments, not a political statement!), of course they do
and should exclude those who do not believe.  They have already
excluded themselves.

A more pertinent question for this list is, what was Milton's thought
on all this?  Do you really think he would reject exclusionary
practices simply because they are exclusionary?  What was his
distinction between Catholics and Papists?

I am neither a Catholic nor a Papist, by the way.

Jim R