[Milton-L] apostasy and apology

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 04:32:16 EST 2007

Does my being a "Roman Catholic 'in error'" -- not so hard a concept for me to accept since I've often been wrong about things -- qualify me for partaking of the Roman Catholic eucharist?

  Not that I'll try, but I'm curious.

  Jeffery Hodges

"Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon" <mjl at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
  J D Fleming has made my religious slip into an interesting question,
thankfully. I have very little to add (I think), except to remind all
and sundry what the real Roman doctrine actually states. Beyond that, I
have very little to offer, except in clarification.

Rome then and now teaches there is only one Church, founded by Christ,
and all Christians are members of it. What is a Christian? Someone who
follows Christ and accepts his teaching (a little hairy when it comes to
the Mormons and J Dubyas, but the concept is there). So, Milton, by
default, was a Roman Catholic, merely "in error". Not so weird, when
you consider that anyone not under Rome is "Roman Catholic, merely in
error". Milton, the average flaming Pentecostal, etc -- all Roman
Catholic, just "in error".

Moral? Rome gets a very bad rap. True, there's no salvation outside
the Church, but as the Church She is pretty generous as to what
constitutes "membership". Ie, if you're a Christian, you're a member.
Granted, you'll spend an extended time in purgatory, but you're still
"in". And then there's those who are "invincibly ignorant" (ie, members
of other religions) who don't know any better. Basically, any good
heart is taken in, no matter what. Some serious purgatorial cleansing,
yes, but still quite the deal.

Roman Catholicism, basically, ain't all that exclusionary, once one
studies the doctrine.

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley