[Milton-L] Apostasy - an unusual PL adaptation

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 29 19:14:38 EST 2007

Mike, even Thomas was allowed to doubt. As with political identities, I
think there are many definitions of "Christian"--and one need not
unilaterally and blindly accept all of the doctrines of theology to qualify
as a "Christian." By the same token, there are many "Christians" who
ostensibly accept all of the doctrines, and are no more "Christian" in their
hearts than the nearest heathen.

What is "each and every line item in the Christian creed"? Seems to me
that's the 39 Articles, in the CofE/Anglican/Episcopalian church, but that
church alone does not get to define "Christian." Milton disagreed with some
of the nominal tenets of the "Christian religion" (whatever that is, other
than theology based on the teachings of Christ); does that make him a
non-Christian?

In the interest of peace for the New Year, even here, and respect and
acceptance for one's brethren of "upright heart and pure"--even when their
viewpoints differ from your own,

Carol Barton