[Milton-L] Apostasy - an unusual PL adaptation

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Sat Dec 29 16:05:59 EST 2007

>You sure about that?  That's where "Bishop" Spong hales from....

Actually, retired Bishop John Shelby Spong is not originally from there. He was born in the south - was elected Bishop while serving as rector of St. Paul's in Richmond, VA, I think. St. Paul's is what some would call a cardinal parish. It predates the Civil War, and is located kitty corner from the state capital. I think Bp Spong was born in North Carolina, but am not sure. Am sure it was south.

In the Episcopal Church, once you are elected Bishop, you remain one until death, so there's no need for the "". He's simply a retired bishop, and would be correctly addressed as Bishop Spong.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant