[Milton-L] Open Call and some Youtube vid's

Yuko Nii wahcenter at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 11 14:16:27 EST 2007

Dear Scholars;

This list has been a pleasure to follow. I particularly liked the
recent discussion of the dimensions of Chaos and Eternal Night through
which our "hero" fell in his attempt at glory.

We are celebrating Milton's birth at the Williamsburg Art & Historical
Center this September/October 2008. I would like to have some lectures
or discussions at the Center on various topics. Possibly one is "The
scope of Chaos." What is "chaos?"  What does it mean to fall into
chaos? Is chaos a conceptual confusion...is it a mental state that
Satan endured when he turned away from Absolute Good...turned away
from God? The "representations" of characters such as Sin & Death are
symbols of metaphysical ideas. Are the ideal realms of God, Heaven and
Hell,  and Satan (as an active opposite to God)  perfect ideas as in
Plato's Theory of Forms that are reflected in our less than perfect
thinking about them? If so, has Milton given less than perfect and
very human qualities to both God and Satan as a moral lesson as well
as a great story to which we can better relate as imperfect humans to
those ideals? After all, perfect ideas or ideals are hard to grasp
intellectually and thus hard to achieve spiritually.

I will probably come up with some other ideas, or you can suggest
some. I would love to see some of you at our events. It should be
rousing with artists, poets, composers and scholars. Maybe a bit of
both Heaven and Pandemonium! Should be fun, once in a lifetime!

Some Youtube items:

Satan, Sin & Death in Paradise Lost:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKpw0-oHGwI

Satan's Idealism in Paradise Lost: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A768uagYbgo&feature=user

Satan Invents Humanism in Paradise Lost: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMDJAVkuGTw&feature=user

Invitation to Milton's Birthday Celebration (cerebration): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V146fb9nOOY&feature=user

Best Regards, With Admiration to Your List! Terrance Lindall