[Milton-L] Book on fall of Satan?

John Ulreich jcu at email.arizona.edu
Fri Dec 7 11:32:41 EST 2007

Zack,

In addition to the works already cited, you might find it useful to
look at J.M. Evans, Paradise Lost and the Genesis Tradition.

John Ulreich

At 09:59 AM 12/6/2007, you wrote:
>Hello, all,
>
>I'm teaching an undergraduate course on Paradise Lost in the Spring
>(for the first time ever, actually; quite excited) and I would like to
>do an introductory lecture on the story of the fall of Satan and his
>angels in religious history as background to Milton's poem.  I was
>wondering if anyone could recommend a good book that traces how this
>story grew out of early apocryphal and exegetical writings of the
>church fathers. Having taught parts of PL in survey courses in the
>past, I know one thing that students are always surprised by is how
>fragmentary the Biblical evidence is for the story of Satan's
>rebellion and fall; it makes the Genesis account of the fall of Man
>(which is enigmatic and elliptical enough on its own) look like a
>well-developed narrative.
>
>The early chapters of Revard's _The War of Heaven_ have been wonderful
>for pointing me to particular passages in primary documents in early
>church history; but I can't help thinking that must be a great book
>out there that would give me the big story.  Any suggestions would be
>warmly appreciated.
>
>Best,
>Zack Long

John C. Ulreich
Professor of English
& Affiliate Faculty in Religious Studies;
Chair, Dean's Advisory Committee, COH;
Faculty Senator for College of Humanities
P.O. Box 210067
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721-0067
(520) 621-5424