[Milton-L] Golden Compass

bill hilton billhiltonmedia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:29:43 EST 2007

I'm not sure how the movie and its sequels will pan out, but the original
trilogy doesn't get seriously Miltonic until halfway through the second
book, The Subtle Knife.

For my money Pullman is the best children's writer of the moment: the
thinking kid's J.K. Rowling, if you like. I remember, after the final novel
in the sequence was published, that I had a whole class of 13-year-olds
demanding that I teach them Paradise Lost rather the Roald Dahl novel I had
prepared for.

For anyone who hasn't read the His Dark Materials, it's worthwhile - if only
because substantial numbers of current English undergrads will have read it.
Many of them, I expect, will have absorbed Pullman's very Blakean spin on
Milton.

Bill