[Milton-L] Milton and Camoes

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 4 15:40:54 EST 2007

A very nice quality hardback (Gordon Press) copy of Mickle’s Lusiad, at a
bargain price -9.95, can be found  at Run for Cover Books:

http://www.runforcoverbooks.com/?page=shop/flypage
<http://www.runforcoverbooks.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=4151821&keywo
rd=lusiad&searchby=title&offset=0&fs=1&CLSN_689=1196793086689cc756b0a9e4849a
0360>
&product_id=4151821&keyword=lusiad&searchby=title&offset=0&fs=1&CLSN_689=119
6793086689cc756b0a9e4849a0360

I bought a copy from them several years ago as well as Fletcher’s  “Use of
the Bible in Milton’s Prose” –only 7.95:

http://www.runforcoverbooks.com/?page=shop/flypage
<http://www.runforcoverbooks.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=4151445&keywo
rd=milton&searchby=title&offset=0&fs=1&CLSN_689=11967931896897335dd7b2cfa00a
97b3>
&product_id=4151445&keyword=milton&searchby=title&offset=0&fs=1&CLSN_689=119
67931896897335dd7b2cfa00a97b3

Has anyone done any serious speculation on whether Milton could have read
the Fanshawe edition?

I did just find this useful online the section from  Martz’s “Poet of Exile”
at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=HomXzhyKLXwC
<http://books.google.com/books?id=HomXzhyKLXwC&pg=PA156&lpg=PA156&dq=fanshaw
e+milton+martz&source=web&ots=SZUE2ma4OQ&sig=Ji40OAoTcl9oeWYzlHZ2F7AkI-c#PPA
158,M1>
&pg=PA156&lpg=PA156&dq=fanshawe+milton+martz&source=web&ots=SZUE2ma4OQ&sig=J
i40OAoTcl9oeWYzlHZ2F7AkI-c#PPA158,M1

I don’t think Martz pointes out, as Fallon does quoting Masson, that
Fanshawe succeeded Milton as Secretary of Foreign Tongues (Fallon says
“Languages”) at the restoration;

Fallon:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZVJtpKAk1pEC
<http://books.google.com/books?id=ZVJtpKAk1pEC&pg=PA229&lpg=PA229&dq=milton+
secretary+fanshawe&source=web&ots=x5PS0FmJjO&sig=0QSSEO694Lce7PUUbZ6t-7p-HHQ

&pg=PA229&lpg=PA229&dq=milton+secretary+fanshawe&source=web&ots=x5PS0FmJjO&s
ig=0QSSEO694Lce7PUUbZ6t-7p-HHQ

Masson:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qdwNAAAAIAAJ
<http://books.google.com/books?id=qdwNAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA297&lpg=PA297&dq=milton+
secretary+fanshawe+masson&source=web&ots=oMCtitCuZy&sig=3jzQ3zScOQ7NFPA4Bkrc
QtXw4aA>
&pg=PA297&lpg=PA297&dq=milton+secretary+fanshawe+masson&source=web&ots=oMCti
tCuZy&sig=3jzQ3zScOQ7NFPA4BkrcQtXw4aA

It would be wonderful if someone would put a “table of parallelisms”
together like Edmundson did  for  Vondel’s  Lucifer.  I would  enjoy
comparing these.

A  table  that  has  Camoes Original,  Fanshawe’s  1655, and Milton’s  X
Book PL would be great.

Edmundson simply does:

Lucifer Act I        Paradise Lost

Line 13                  Book III, line 741

etc

It would be nice to eventually plug these all in to a grid  then plug in
other epics and works of relevance (like Genesis B).

Also, since you are interested in Mickle,  you might not know Dr. Johnson,
according to Boswell, once considered translating the Lusiad.

See this and a section on Mickle and the Lusiad at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=CPEeAAAAMAAJ
<http://books.google.com/books?id=CPEeAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA251&lpg=PA251&dq=hoole+m
ickle+lusiad&source=web&ots=YfzRsaoH5O&sig=8x3OzJMJ5pEFKNJLSy_iwE9e1WA#PPA25
1,M1>
&pg=PA251&lpg=PA251&dq=hoole+mickle+lusiad&source=web&ots=YfzRsaoH5O&sig=8x3
OzJMJ5pEFKNJLSy_iwE9e1WA#PPA251,M1

Finally,  I just wanted to point out the poet Roy Campbell’s great interest
in Camoes.  You should really take a look at his work if you have not
already.

I just reread his “Flaming Terrapin”   -not a Grateful Dead album-  (1924)
last night.

Campbell’s poem “Luis de Camoes” starts:

CAMOES, alone, of all the lyric race,

Born in the black aurora of disaster,

Can look a common soldier if the face:

I find a comrade where I sought a master:

A bit rambling, but I hope some is helpful

-John

Descend Thalia with a Song

>From Heav’n: my Queen, I’de have it long

To the shril Pipe or to the Flute

The Viol or Apollo’s Lute

R ockets of flame from parallels of steel

A nd, as the rails curve, shoots from flanks of brass

T angents of fire to singe the whiskered grass

S o the mad Terrapin, with mighty shoulders

      Shunting the hills, moved upon rolling boulders

      That, like huge wheels, propelled with savage might,

      Revolved their molten globes across the night

  T  ill far upon a mountain’s twinkling spire

  H  e saw the Devil on his throne of fire

  R  uling the world: and launched his fatal shock

  O  f thunder: as it leapt from rock to rock

  B   lackening

Its tattered fringes

The old fiend heard it come, and pale with fear

Felt his harsh tresses writhe themselves and rear

http://www.johngeraghty.com/Literature/Texts/Milton/P_Lost_1691/102_3746.JPG

.

For weary months from cliff to crag he fell

Until at last the grim recess of hell

Stunned by his fall, gave forth a horrid groan

S  erved only to discover sights of woe,

R  egions of sorrow, doleful shades, where peace

A  nd rest can never dwell, hope never comes

T  hat comes to all, but torture without end

S  urges, and a fiery deluge, fed

  With ever-burning sulphur unconsumed.

  Such place Eternal Justice has prepared

  For those rebellious; here their prison ordained

  In utter darkness, and their portion set,

  As far removed from God and light of Heaven

  As from the centre thrice to th' utmost pole.

SATR with RATS tail and falling STARS:

http://www.johngeraghty.com/Literature/Texts/Milton/P_Lost_1688/PL_1688_61-I
llus_III.jpg

“Written in the Stars: Poetry and Philosophy in the Phaenomena of Aratus”

http://www.telemachos.hu-berlin.de/arachne/num2/hunter.html