[Milton-L] Reading practices and empiricism

Spiller, Elizabeth E.Spiller at tcu.edu
Sun Apr 29 00:10:00 EDT 2007

A few places for reading, science, and empiricism-- I really like:

Grafton, Anthony. "The New Science and the Traditions of Humanism" in Jill Kraye, ed., The Cambridge Companion to Renaissance Humanism (Cambridge:  Cambridge Univ. Press, 1996), pp. 203 - 23.

Johns, Adrian. "The Physiology of Reading: Print and the Passions" in The Nature of the Book: Print and Knowledge in the Making (Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Press, 1998), pp. 380-443.

Grafton, Anthony.  "Kepler as a Reader," Journal of the History of Ideas 52 (1992): 561-72.

I've also found helpful: William Sherman (his book and more recent articles; on Dee and reading), Ann Blair (on commonplace books but also current project), Timothy Reiss (has, among other things, a wonderful piece on Galileo and reading the book of nature).

Pamela Long and Pamela Smith have put together a fabulous site on science, experimentalism, and empiricism, with lots of additional resources (though not specifically about reading):

Long, Pamela O. and Pamela H. Smith, 'Experience and Experiment in Early Modern Europe', 2001 NEH Summer Seminar, (http://www.folger.edu/html/folger_institute/experience/index.htm)

You might also look at my Science, Reading, and Renaissance Literature (esp Chap 4) for additional suggestions on science and 17th century reading practices.

Elizabeth Spiller