[Milton-L] areopagitica, again

John T. Shawcross jtshaw74 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 25 15:13:01 EDT 2007

Dear Jeff,

I just don't know whatever other texts might advance similar ideas,
whether before or after 1644. I've just not looked at anything with
that thought in mind, although I wouldn't doubt that there are some.
Certainly what you quote from Ross suggests a reading of
"Areopagitica," and although they are quite different politically,
the problem transcends politics and speaks to a kind of moral honesty
(if not, educational honesty). I hope  you do pursue this; probably
it is extensive enough for both venues of presentation. You do
remember that Ross refers to Milton's divorce views in Pansebeia
[Greek]: Or, a View of All Religions of the World (1653), pp. 400,
413. The second edition in 1655 has allusions on pp. 376, 389, 395
(?), 425.

John