[Milton-L] Areopagitica

Margaret Thickstun mthickst at hamilton.edu
Wed Apr 25 12:09:45 EDT 2007

Just as a side note on this topic, at the American Antiquarian
Library in Worcester, MA, which holds the Mather family theological
library, there are 5 of Milton's pamphlets:

An Apology for Smectymnuus 1654 London edition
Eikonoklastes 1690 Amsterdam edition
Pro Populo Anglicano Defensio  London 1652
Reason of Church Government   London 1641
Tenure of Kings and Magistrates  London 1649

Increase Mather, the middle one (Richard emigrated to Massachusetts
Bay in the initial wave of the Great Migration; Cotton, Increase's
son, was the most prolific writer), was in London during the 1650s
and appears to have been the one to collect these pamphlets.
Areopagitica is not among them.

These pamphlets are bound with other things: for example, Reason of
Church Government is bound with other pamphlets on church governance
and, if I remember correctly, water baptism.  Presumably, Areo would
have been bound with similar pamphlets--and alas when I was there
that was not something I was thinking about, so I did not write down
what pamphlets Increase might have collected on the licensing
controversy.

So, although quite a bit of Milton's prose crossed the Atlantic with
Increase at the end of the 1650s, Areopagitica does not appear to
have been among them. --Margie
--
Margaret Thickstun
Elizabeth J. McCormack Professor of English