[Milton-L] Paradise Lost, Hell, Ecology, and Industry

Sara van den Berg vandens at slu.edu
Mon Apr 23 20:36:17 EDT 2007

Sara van den Berg wrote:
> Justin Barnes Kolb wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This project might be a little unformed but I thought I'd put some
>> feelers out. I'm kicking around a vague idea for a Murfreesboro
>> conference paper on PL. It would be about the role of mining,
>> industry, smithing, gunnery, and various other technological
>> manipulations of metal and earth in Hell and the actions of the
>> devils. At the moment I'm thinking of a sort of ecocritical reading,
>> with the infernal and strenuous novelty and ingenuity of the devils
>> contrasted to the gentle gardening of Adam and Eve in Eden. I though
>> it might be interesting to examine the relationship between Milton's
>> ideas about nature, improvement, and work and the ideas of the
>> Diggers. I'm also considering a tenuous, if possibiy interesting
>> analogy, between the "darkness visible" of Hell and a world lit by
>> the burning of fossil fuels.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend some good critical texts on Milton and ecology,
>> ideas of nature and work from the period, or any work on technology
>> and culture in Milton?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Justin Kolb
>> UW-Madison

This afternoon, after sending my earlier message, I happened to read
Daniel Tiffany's essay, "Lyric Substance: On Riddles, Materialism, and
Poetic Obscurity,"
 which devotes one section to a discussion of Milton's "darkness
visible."  The essay is included in /Things/, ed. Bill Brown (U of
Chicago Press, 2004), which reprints a special issue of /Critical
Inquiry/.

Sara van den Berg