[Milton-L] Areopagitica's first readers

Alan Rudrum rudrum at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 23 14:50:11 EDT 2007

Jeffrey Shoulson is asking for the most recent and best documented
research on the reception of Areopagitica in the very first few years
after its publication (1644-49).

So this response can hardly be very useful.   However, at the end of the
first paragraph of my Introduction to Modern Judgements on Milton (1968)
I wrote: "There appears to be no contemporary reference to Areopagitica;
and certainly there is no reason to believe that Milton's ideas were
taken very seriously by those who controlled events."

So, with Jeffrey Shoulson, I await with interest documented contemporary