[Milton-L] Postscript

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:08:56 EDT 2007

I don't think that's completely factual, Carrol.  The man was already
brought in for psychiatric evaulation for fears of attempted suicide
and the police were brought in on him at least twice for stalking
female students.  There are not literally tens of thousands of
students like this.  If you encounter one or two every three or four
years you'd be "lucky."

The problem the mental health community has with these types of issues
is that it's not covered by insurance.  So they watch people like this
for three days, give them meds (which is all they really know how to
do -- long term counseling isn't an option here), then turn them
loose.

It probably is true that we can't predict which people who fit even
this limited description will become killers, though.  We need better
profiling.  Even then, it'll be hit and miss.

No one's talking about expulsion from the college, permanent records
on transcripts, etc.  Only about a psychological evaluation.  They can
be given the option of going through the eval or dropping out.  I bet
most opt to drop out.

Jim R