[Milton-L] Postscript

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 19 13:01:12 EDT 2007

Carol Barton wrote:

> At no point did I advocate excluding anyone who was merely troubled or sad or even angry about the state of the world from being able to get an education (or a job): I said that students who had exhibited *aberrant* behavior (that is, strikingly abnormal, as this young man at Blacksburg did, and as several of the students I have encountered in my own classrooms have) should be denied admission unless psychological/psychiatric evaluation determined them to be no danger to themselves, or to others--and be given whatever treatment was appropriate, if it didn't.

No. No. No. This is totally unacceptable.

There are probably _thousands_, perhaps even 10s of thousands, of young
men and women in the united states who are _every bit_ as "strikingly
abnormal" as this young man but who will NEVER hurt anyone, who in fact,
with or without therapy, will go on to live legitimate lives.

And there is _NO_ "psychological/psychiatric evaluation" that can
predict _which_ of those "strikingly abnormal"  young people will commit
crimes and which will be useful members of the community. Repeat: The
kind of prediction you ask for is not within the capacity of current
psychiatric knowledge, and any psychiatrist or psychologist who made
such a claim would, quite frankly, be professionally incompetent.

What you advocate is precisely what you claim not to advocate.

Carrol