[Milton-L] RE: Milton-L Digest, Vol 5, Issue 9

Semenza, Gregory gregory.semenza at uconn.edu
Tue Apr 17 09:15:06 EDT 2007

Cynthia Gilliatt couldn't be more correct.

Approximately 30 twenty-year olds and several professors are dead.  Several dozen students witnessed multiple execution-style murders and will have those gruesome images burned into their minds forever.  Their family members--their parents and children--are just being notified and beginning a mourning period that will last their entire lives.  I see no logic and much offense in applying an Allan Bloom-like rant about consumerist education to this event.

Greg Semenza

Professor Gregory M. Colón Semenza
Director of English Graduate Studies
215 Glenbrook Road--Unit 4025
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269
860-486-4762 / semenza at uconn.edu
web: http://sp.uconn.edu/~gms02007/index.html.htm

"I teach at James Madison University. Va Tech is about 3 hours
south and west of us. I'd guess about 3/4 of our students
have kin or friends at Tech. In Harrisonburg, where JMU is,
I'd bet there are a fair number of families with kids at
Tech - at least 3 families in our church do - and thank God
their kids are OK.

I have read the postings on this list with horror.

Don't you people get it?

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU"