[Milton-L] Miltonic Sonnet: Blacksburg

Gregory Machacek Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu
Wed Apr 18 16:56:25 EDT 2007

Also:  "Only in destroying I find ease"

Greg Machacek
Associate Professor of English
Marist College

             "Greg Lowe"
             <irnbrigade at hotma
             il.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  milton-l at lists.richmond.edu
             milton-l-bounces@                                          cc
             lists.richmond.ed
             u                                                     Subject
                                       Re: [Milton-L] Miltonic Sonnet:
                                       Blacksburg
             04/18/2007 02:21
             PM

             Please respond to
                John Milton
              Discussion List
             <milton-l at lists.r
               ichmond.edu>

Having grown up about 40 miles from the Blacksburg campus, just hearing the

familiar (but yesterday suffering) lilt of the southwestern Virginia voices

heightens the pain I feel from my Atlanta vantage point.

Kemmer, a very fitting homage to Nikki Giovanni's eloquent words.

When I got to school yesterday, I prefaced the lesson I had planned on
Robert Burns with some words from PL that I and my students had examined
together during the first few weeks of this new year. Trying to imagine the

mind-set that might lead to such senseless destruction and carnage I
pointed
them to Satan's soliloquy in Book IV.

Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide

And then later,

So farewell, hope; and with hope farewell, fear;
Farewell, remorse! all good to me is lost;
Evil, be thou my good...

And then I sent them to Book VI and Raphael's admonition regarding the
development of weapons after his narration of Satan's invention of the
cannon,

               ...Yet, haply, of thy race
In future days, if malice should abound,
Some one intent on mischief, or inspired
With devilish machination, might devise
Like instrument to plague the sons of men
For sin, on war and mutual slaughter bent.

And then finally I got on to Burns (although real connections to the event
could be made to "the best laid schemes..." for there is no other place so
full of hopeful plans than a university campus)

And then I came home and had my spirits uplifted by Giovanni's closing
remarks at the convocation service televised from Blacksburg. Only then did

I realize how dark the Milton's words were that I had shared with my
students earlier that day (my only defense is that these words had  matched

my dark mood). Giovanni helps to turn my mind from "Evil, be thou my
good..." and "mutual slaughter" to a better and more hopeful passage from
Book XII,

O Goodness infinite, Goodness immense!
That all this good of evil shall produce,
And evil turn to good; more wonderful
Than that which by creation first brought forth
Light out of darkness!

Giovanni's repeated "we will prevail" is a first step toward turning this
terrible evil into good.

Greg Lowe
Collins Hill High school
Suwanee, Georgia