[Milton-L] Student referrals

shaw at ulm.edu shaw at ulm.edu
Wed Apr 18 11:18:12 EDT 2007

Sadly, I wonder if on some campuses three faculty members would notice--

And regarding how to determine when and how to intervene in the lives
of at risk or risky students, it seems that we would end up
intervening in a dozen lives to prevent a suicide attempt by one, in a
hundred lives to prevent the actual suicide of one, in a thousand
lives to prevent a homicide, in tens of thousands--perhaps
millions--to prevent what happened at Virginia Tech.

It might help to crush through the "veneer of institutionalized
compassion" and recreate the genuine compassion of authentic
professionals in health care; it might help to perceive these at-risk
and risky people as innocents before they become guilty and treat them
as in need of care (in all senses of the word) rather than
"intervention."  But truthfully, no one "system"--health care,
criminal justice--can break through the vast chasm of alienation that
leads to an act like this.  To so fully dismiss the humanity of
others, this young man must have seen his own shredded.  I keep
hearing others on television describe how "weird" he was--and I'm sure
it's true.  But is that how he saw others seeing him day in and day
out?  This child was Frankenstein's monster.  And I suspect that
society is Frankenstein.

  The only way to successfully prevent something like this from
happening again is to start now by making eye contact and smiling at
the ugliest two year old on the bus--and I'm not sure that in many
places in America one could do that without being perceived as a
predator.

I speak as if I know something.  Like everyone else, I'm guessing.
But so long as everyone is venting, I thought I might as well . . .

best,
Julia Guernsey-Shaw