[Milton-L] Student referrals

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Wed Apr 18 10:03:50 EDT 2007

>I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything or make any changes,
but we
>shouldn't expect too much from them, and we shouldn't be too
>aggressive about violations of privacy that foster a culture
of
>paranoia.

I agree. Look at the zero-toleration policy absurdities in
some public schools.

If someone is perceived as a threat to themselves or others
>they can be Baker Acted.

What's that?

I'd think more in terms of isolating
>individual threats than bigger changes that directly affect
everyone.

Again, I agree. I expect one practical thing would be for
campus safety entities to have drills, to review procedures,
and to have a plans for notification in case of emergencies.

A couple of years ago we had our usual outdoor commencement
on a morning when rain threatened. There was just rain during
the big mass ceremony [which I skipped] - then the smaller
ceremonies in scattered locations came under the threat of
really bad weather. Because the designated person had
mistaken the time for it, I read the names of graduating
English majors as they stepped forward to be recognized - I
heard thunder and o f course it started to rain on an already
wet field...and there I was with a mike and a big golf
umbrella [fiberglass shaft, TBTG!]. They finally canceled
the rest of the festivities. A number of us wrote angry
letters to the administration about lightning and the
conductivity of water and metal folding chairs etc. - by next
spring that had installed a weather alert system like golf
courses use.

Possibly something like that, supplemented by text message
and cell-phone 'reverse 911' calls could be used to get
people lock down ....
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant