[Milton-L] Student referrals

Rose Williams rwill627 at suddenlink.net
Wed Apr 18 10:40:59 EDT 2007

(Ah, one of these days I am going to find a way to take a class under Jim.
So much good sense and some much
tolerance for the rest of us along with great intellect are a joy to see. He
reminds me of Quintilian's contention that intelligence has not only width,
but also length; thus a truly intelligent man will not do evil things
because he can foresee the consequences for himself and others. According to
Quintilian, clever men may collect, analyze, and synthesize information, but
if they act without due regard to consequences, they are not truly
intelligent.)

Three faculty members expressing concerns should indeed trigger a mandatory
review. The student I spoke of earlier, before shooting his instructor in
the face, had written papers in his English class so frightening that his
professor was troubled. Could we make a practice of having our students in a
wide variety of classes write little personal opinion pieces in the course
of classwork? Their attitudes and feelings could be very illuminating.

On another tack, could people be required to have some sort of license to
show when they go to buy a gun?
We all carry driver's licenses, and in Texas we have some sort of gun
license, although I think it refers to carrying a concealed weapon. Why
should we not have gun licenses? The NRA would scream, of course, but
wouldn't it validate NRA members as responsible citizens? I go to trouble
and expense to keep my right to drive a car, why not have similar
responsibility about buying a gun?
Yes, there would be a blackmarket, as there is in most things. It does not
follow that we should eliminate every law that someone will break.
Rose Williams