[Milton-L] Student referrals

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 18 08:47:10 EDT 2007

Cynthia asks, "Would something have shown up about this student?"

Yes--if the kind of background check that is routinely done on Federal employees were conducted. They would not be able to obtain sealed records, of course--but I believe they would be told of their existence--and they would interview neighbors and other people who know the individual about his or her character and behavior--in this case, perhaps former teachers or principals, etc.

Schools do such checks on potential teachers at the sub-undergraduate level because they're required to do so, by law--to identify known sex-offenders, or others who have exhibited behaviors that might endanger the children. In a world in which random acts of violence are becoming a regular feature of the daily news, it seems to me that college students should receive no less assurance as to the character and stability of their classmates, as well. I have just heard (via NPR) that there have been multiple threats causing lockdowns at various schools this morning . . . how many more "copycats" can we afford to expose our young people to?

Best to all,

Carol Barton