[Milton-L] Student referrals

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Wed Apr 18 08:09:30 EDT 2007

  Too many lives have been lost--at Columbine, at Blacksburg,
and elsewhere--to justify not establishing some sort of
security profile on potential students, whether the
applicants consider that a violation of their civil rights or
not.

Would something have shown up about this student?  Criminal
records of minors are sealed, are they not? [This is gleaned
from watching too many Law and Order episodes.] Medical
records too would be difficult. It's been so long since I
applied to college that I don't remember what-all I had to
send to Duke once I was accepted. There was a pretty curcory
medical exam by my doctor, and I think I had to have proof of
polio vaccinations - maybe smallpox?  Can you ask if people
have had counseling?

I don't know, and I suspect the young man at Tech did not get
conseling before he went to Tech. OTOH, lots of kids have
counseling for all kinds of things - depression, eating
disorders, coping with tough family situations - how would
you sort out the ones you wouldn't want on campus?

Another thing - some years ago I had a student who, in the
course of being at JMU, developed as a fully - and scarily -
symptomatic schizophrenic. The onset of that disease often
happens in late teens early 20s.

I wish there were a failsafe way to make all of our spaces
secure.

Cynthia G
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU