[Milton-L] (no subject)

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Apr 17 20:44:38 EDT 2007

 I read this morning that the
>suspect was identified as an English major who wrote a
few “disturbing” plays.

Yes. My understanding is that his professor found his writing
disturbing and suggested he go to the counsleing center. It
is unclear right now if he did or did not.

My understanding of standard operating procedure for faculty
who think a student's behavior or writing suggests a problem
is that the faculty member may suggest the student seek
counseling. A faculty member may not try to require a student
to do so.

It sounds as if the faculty member involved did what was
appropriate.

Cynthia G
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU