[Milton-L] What have we become?

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Apr 17 13:45:57 EDT 2007

, because of
>having grown up in California ganglands as a kid, I
automatically scoped my
>classrooms and conference rooms (yes, even in good ol'
Murfreesboro) for
>exits and for items in the room that could be used readily
as defensive and
>offensive weapons; and that I had visualized maximizing
student safety given
>various circumstances.

I had a conversation with my rector this morning about
feelings of vulnerability - and she told me that at her
seminary they were advised about how to set up their church
offices so that they could have an unimpeded way to run out
of the room should someone they were counseling become
threatening. She ruefully noted that the office at our church
wasn't readily adaptable for that.

The rooms I teach in this term - like most classrooms on our
part of the campus - are not built for escape. One is part of
what was once a swimming pool in the basement.

Not inappropriate at all.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant