[Milton-L] Mourning

Ryan Paul ryanspaul at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 23:06:35 EDT 2007

I don't think any of us will be able to get answers here on the Milton list
about what the causes of today's events were, or how it could have been
prevented, or what should be done in the future to prevent similar tragedies
from happening in the future. But, I think we can share our grief. I was
reminded of some other words about youth lost before its time, albeit under
vastly different circumstances. I think, though, that they are somewhat
appropriate for this moment and this setting in giving voice to the pain and
loss so many people are feeling right now.

Yet once more, O ye laurels, and once more
Ye myrtles brown, with ivy never sere,
I come to pluck your berries harsh and crude,
And with forced fingers rude,
Shatter your leaves before the mellowing year.
Bitter constraint, and sad occasion dear,
Compels me to disturb your season due:
For Lycidas is dead, dead ere his prime,
Young Lycidas, and hath not left his peer:
Who would not sing for Lycidas? he knew
Himself to sing, and build the lofty rhyme.
He must not float upon his watery bier
Unwept, and welter to the parching wind,
Without the meed of some melodious tear.

-Ryan Paul
University of Arizona