PRIVATE Re: [Milton-L] keep your pronoun to yourself, please

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 16 22:46:32 EDT 2007

That last thank you applies to you, too, Carrol. I understand some of your
frustrations--and where the message below is coming from--and of course I
also remember the scoundrels and the opportunists and the plain
old-fashioned jerks.

But I think that, as a class, they had far more wisdom, far more learning,
and far more academic integrity than the present generation of
mantle-receivers. If we respected them because we didn't know what shysters
and opportunists some of them were, sobeit . . . but we didn't consider them
dirt under our feet . . . and we *did* learn some real values from those who
weren't corrupted--and even from those who only pretended to embody the
ideals they taught us.

I don't think that's happening today.

And I think what happened today is partly the result of a general lack of
respect for everyone and everything--ME FIRST--attitude that these children
have adopted as their creed.

Can we blame society and the media for not teaching them better values? Of
course.

But not every kid whose girlfriend rejects him, or whose boss fires him, or
whose teacher flunks him, feels the need to walk into your classroom or mine
and make sure that no one walks out alive.

Truce.

Carol