[Milton-L] What have we become?

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 16 22:06:44 EDT 2007

Thank you, James. I like your syllabus note: what a surprise it must be, to
some of them!

My point was, I think, that somewhere in the changed curriculum, among the
isms and the PC absurdities, we have lost the ability to teach fundamental
respect for human life, and encouraged a generation of me-ists who consider
*my priorities*--my broken relationship, my estranged children, my
anything-that-makes-my-life-less-than-idyllic--more important than the lives
and needs and desires of others. We have taught these children instead that
personal satisfaction--Andy Warhol's fifteen minutes of glory--is more
important than your life, or mine, or the lives of anyone who happens (like
today) to get in the way of a grade the shooter doesn't like--a boss who
fires him or her--or a girlfriend or boyfriend who is no longer interested
in continuing the relationship. We encourage all sorts of "reparation"
agendas: YOU OWE ME, according to my own warped sense of victimization, and
therefore, I have the right to hurt you (whether you ever actually hurt me
or not).

Forgive my rant. I am tired, and sickened by all of this--as I am by
kamikaze pilots and suicide bombers and war and carnage and senseless,
stupid bloodshed by the bucket and the gallon of people who are just trying
to live their lives. It has been too long a day.

Carol Barton

Forg