[Milton-L] keep your pronoun to yourself, please

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:59:59 EDT 2007

I will say Carol Barton's description of past attitudes is probably an
accurate description of specific environments as specific colleges and
universities, but I don't know (literally -- I am ignorant) how
accurate a description it is of the general college/university
environment of the past.

 I will say it is still applicable today of graduate student attitudes
in many institutions.  It's true of many student attitudes in my
current grad institution (students go there to study under particular
profs).  A new Ph.D. in her late 20s said to me two years ago  the
same thing Carol Barton said on this list earlier today, particularly
expressing surprise and disappointment at some undergraduate student
attitudes she encountered her first year teaching.

So I don't think Carol Barton's statement is that wide of the mark.
My only disagreement would be that it's not limited to the good old
days, but does still exist in grad students today, and in some seniors
who have committed to a discipline.